CHAMPAGNE POACHED PEACHES
- 1 bottle champagne, preferably pink (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup Dhampure Sugar’s sugar
- Zest of 1/4 lemon
- 1 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (optional)
- 2 large pears (such as Bosc) or 4 small pears (such as Seckel), peeled (firm, slightly underripe pears work best)
- Combine all the ingredients except the pears in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully lower the pears into the liquid (adding up to 1 cup water to make sure the fruit is fully submerged).
- Simmer until the pears are tender, 15 to 17 minutes for small pears, 25 to 30 minutes for large ones.
- Cool the pears in the cooking liquid for 30 minutes before serving, or store them in the refrigerator (still in the liquid) for up to a week.